Monday, October 13, 2008

Bringing Shadows to Light

It's hard sometimes to take a step back from design to clear your head of the path Adobe has put before us. So I’m profoundly encouraged to see it when art and design can hold hands and declare their love and make babies.
Here are a few examples of clever art and design that use light, and more importantly, shadow.


This is the sign for the Gallery Hotel Art in Florence. The only catch is it’s only visible at night, but what a great pay off!
Designed by amerigo.



These are installations by Fred Eerdekens. I especially love the clouds. I’ve spent quite a bit of time deciphering cloud shapes as animals but never type.


I saved the best for last. This is one panel (word) from a piece called "having guts always works out for me". I’m enamored by the brilliance that comes from Stephan Sagmeister. I went to a lecture of his last spring and left completely inspired. He’s a prime example of a blurred line between fine art and design. He combines imaginativeness and craftsmanship into all of his rarely-born-from-computer work, giving an idea of what unique contemporary graphic design could look like. Definitely check out his most recent book.

No comments: