Thursday, April 16, 2009

Postcrossing

I recently joined postcrossing which is a wonderful 21st century postcard exchange. My friend Steph signed up a while back and she has received very cool postcards and stamps from other countries that I was instantly envious of. Actually I was instantly envious of all the fun mail she was receiving. I haven't received any yet, but I've sent nine. Four of those have reached their destination so I should be receiving some any day now. Once a postcard is received the recipient registers it with the site, posts a picture, and usually sends a thank you message/post to the sender via the postcrossing site. So far I've sent postcards to Finland (3), Germany, China, the US (2), the Netherlands and Canada.
I love the site, not that its design blows me away but there's so much information. And that information is laid out in a way that's easy to navigate, interesting and simple. If you thoroughly read the Please buy me these art books post, then you'll know that isotypes are my pillow talk. Take these statistics for instants:
(click for larger view)


Simple, interesting, pretty.
And now my favorite part. There's a constant stream of uploaded postcards in the gallery and you can go through and favorite the ones you like (like flickr). These are some of my recent faves.
(click on any postcard to see where it's traveled)













I encourage you to join. It's a fun way experience different places while you're *uhm* stuck at work.

No comments: